Creates Online Community for Cyber Security News, Commentary and Discussions
Mar 31, 2014
SAN FRANCISCO, March 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Tech announces the new community-driven Dark Reading (darkreading.com), the cyber security industry's top destination for news and insight. The redesigned site gives cyber security professionals an editorially-supported environment to connect with peers through moderated discussions, blogs and social media, giving the community equal share of voice with reporters and experts. Complementing the brand's award-winning editorial is perspective from more than 100 community contributors, including the information security industry's top researchers, subject matter experts, and engineers.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click here: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/7149751-umb-tech-unveils-new-dark-reading-cyber-security-site-news
Dark Reading is now optimized for rapid interaction and engagement among community members digitally and face-to-face at live events. It provides information security professionals with business-critical content they have long trusted, while bringing the community together online and at UBM Tech events like Interop Las Vegas and Black Hat USA.
In a world where online exploits evolve and change every minute, Dark Reading informs readers of potential threats, analyzes the scope and nature of those threats and provides an interactive forum where security professionals can come together to improve their understanding of cyber security attacks, breaches and vulnerabilities and work collaboratively across industries and geographies to build better defenses.
"We've spent the last eight years developing one of the most comprehensive and reliable cyber security news sites on the Web. Every day our editors and bloggers evaluate the threats that are most likely to affect the cyber security industry and provide the key information needed to build defenses against them," said Tim Wilson, Editor in Chief and Community Leader for Dark Reading. "Dark Reading is now a place where the top IT security minds can come to share their ideas, build relationships and improve their careers. We are very pleased to offer security professionals a place to have live conversations online and offline all year-round."
Core sections of Dark Reading include:
- Attacks & Breaches
- Application Security
- Cloud Security
- Endpoint Security & Privacy
- Mobile Security
- Network & Perimeter Security
- Risk Management & Compliance
- Vulnerabilities & Threats
- John Sawyer, senior security analyst, InGuardians
- Gunter Ollman, CTO, IOActive
- Maxim Weinstein, senior researcher, Sophos
- Tom Parker, CTO, FusionX
- Glenn Phillips, founder and senior consultant, Forte
- Jared Thorkelson, president, DLP Experts
- Vincent Liu, managing partner, Bishop Fox
- Bruce Schneier, CTO, BT Counterpane
- Ira Winkler, president, Secure Mentem
- Doug Landoll, head, Assero Security
- Tim Rohrbaugh, VP information security, Intersections
- Rick Howard, CSO, Palo Alto Networks
- J.D. Sherry, vice president, technology & solutions, Trend Micro
Dark Reading is the latest in a series of groundbreaking online community-platform launches from UBM Tech. TheInformationWeek community platform launched in November 2013, and has seen a significant lift in engagement with a 40 percent increase in comments, and a 22 percent increase in page views. EE Times' site launched in July 2013, and has seen similar results, attesting to UBM Tech's unique community-based online model.
The Dark Reading editorial team is led by Wilson and senior editor Kelly Jackson Higgins, who has been the brand's chief reporter since it began in 2006. Other editorial team members include:
- Marilyn Cohodas, community editor
- Sara Peters, contributing writer
- Mat Schwartz, contributing writer
- Brian Prince, contributing writer
- Ericka Chickowski, contributing writer
- Rob Lemos, contributing writer